Laser Hair Reduction
We use gold standard, medical grade lasers for fast and effective hair reduction. We minimise any discomfort with the option of patented Dynamic Cooling Device™ (DCD™) skin cooling and/or Zimmer cooling.
- Laser hair reduction is still a relatively new medical cosmetic procedure and long-term studies are ongoing.
- Most clients require 6 – 8 treatments to achieve permanent hair reduction of approximately 80% or greater.
- The treatment works best on fair skin and dark hair, coarse hair responds better than fine hair.
- The treatment does not work on light blond, light red, grey or white hair.
- Clients with fine facial hair or clients experiencing hormonal imbalances may require additional or ongoing treatments.
- It is recommended that females with hormonal imbalances such as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome consult an Endocrinologist for specialist evaluation. Medical treatment as well as ongoing laser hair reduction may achieve best possible results.
- Clients commencing treatment during puberty may need additional treatments as their hair growth may not be fully developed due to changing hormone levels.
- Clients achieve best results if they have treatments every 6 – 8 weeks. For facial hair it is best to treat every 4 weeks. Clients who leave long periods between treatments will not achieve optimal results.
Please advise therapist if;
- You have had recent sun exposure in the last 6 weeks or a spray tan in the last 2 weeks.
- Are taking medication, particularly Ro-accutane or any other medication causing sun sensitivity.
FAQs - Laser Hair Reduction
What are Candela's Laser Hair Reduction treatments like?
Laser energy is delivered through a small handpiece operated by your practitioner. The laser delivers an intense beam of light, which is absorbed by the skin and converted to heat. The heat is then absorbed by the cells being targeted, while the surrounding tissue remains unaffected. Your skin may be slightly red immediately following the procedure. This typically lasts from a few minutes to several hours after the procedure.
Are laser hair reduction treatments painful?
Candela’s Laser Hair Reduction treatments use a patented Dynamic Cooling Device™ (DCD™), which prepares the skin for treatment by spraying the upper layer with a cooling burst of cryogen in adjustable durations—milliseconds before the laser pulse. DCD helps ensure that the treatments are as comfortable as they are effective.
What do I need to do before my treatment?
- Do NOT Expose the treatment are to the sun or solarium 4 – 6 weeks prior to treatment. Use sun block with SPF 30+ at all times. If treated within 2 weeks of active (natural sunlight or solarium) tanning, you may develop hypopigmentation (white spots) after treatment and this may not clear for 2-3 months or more.
- Do not use spray tan or tanning creams at least two weeks prior to treatment all traces of tan have to be removed. The procedure may have to be postponed if you have a tan.
- Any form of tanning may lead to complications and side effects such as hyper and hypo pigmentation.
- Do not wax, pluck or bleach the hair for 4 weeks before and during treatment. You may shave in-between treatments and 24 hours before your next appointment unless otherwise advised by your therapist.
- The use of topical anesthetic (Dr Numb) Is optional, and should be applied at least 1 hour prior to treatment.
- Do not use prescription Vitamin A for two weeks prior to treatment.
- Do not use Roaccutane for at least 6 months prior to treatment.
How long do Candela's laser Hair Reduction treatments take, and how many treatments will I require?
Treatment times may vary depending on your specific needs. Hair growth is reduced after each treatment and the number of treatments required will be based on your hair colour and type, body area and skin tone.Treatment times may vary depending on your specific needs. Hair growth is reduced after each treatment and the number of treatments required will be based on your hair colour and type, body area and skin tone.
What should I expect after my treatment?
- Redness is a common side effect and may last a few hours to a couple of days after treatment
- Apply soothing gel as recommended twice a day for 3 – 4 days until the skin has recovered.
- Until redness has completely subsided, avoid the following:
- use of make-up over treated area – Mineral make up is ok
- use of perfumed lotions or creams, exfoliants, Vitamin A products
- hot and cold water – use tepid water
- swimming in pools and spas with multiple chemicals
- activities that cause perspiration
- sun exposure of the treatment area
- In case of crusting or swelling of the skin apply soothing gel as recommended and advise us immediately. Do NOT pick or scratch the area as this may lead to infection and scarring.
- Over the next 2 – 4 weeks the treated hair will shed and have the appearance of growing hair. Do not wax or pluck the hair, allow the hair to fall away by gently exfoliating or you may shave during this period.